Saturday, April 20, 2013

Happpy Birthday Holden

Holden, our dear friend who works with us in the office, turned the ripe old age of 23 on April 3rd.  I think  he is the most positive and happy person I have ever meet. We love listening to him talk. He speaks great English but he throws some sort of accent into it. It almost sounds Jamaican. Here are a few funny moments with him.
Because Elder Mathews is always having to explain  how the mission  finances work and why, he is often heard saying to the missionaries, "Now the point is this ..." I didn't realize he said it so much but Holden picked up on it. The other day Elder Mathews was trying to explain something to Holden about the finances, which Holden clearly was not understanding. In frustration he said to Elder Mathews, "When are you going to tell me what the point is? You know when you say," he lowered his voice, "now the point is this ..."
Then a few weeks ago I saw him with is wife. I leaned over to him and said, "Your wife gets prettier every time I see her." Without skipping a beat he said, "Of course she does. She is living with me now. Just living with me makes her prettier." I laughed when she slugged him.

He can be a bit forgetful and the other day he raced over to the Brazilian Embassy with several missionaries to get the final things done on their visas. He realized when he got there though that he had forgotten all of their passports at the office. He called us in a panic, so we raced over there with the passports. The waiting room was crowded and very quiet when I rushed in. The minute Holden saw me he yells out, "Oh my mama! Obrigado!" The missionaries were laughing so hard as everyone in the waiting room turned to see this wonderful young black man rush to this pale old white woman who he had just called mama. But to be honest I would claim this kid as my own anytime and anywhere.
So Happy Birthday Holden.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment