P-days are our days off but the P stands for preparation. It is the day designated for missionaries to do laundry, shop and clean. We did most of that last night so we could go on a little excursions. Robert and I don't always agree on what would be fun. He likes to explore crazy places in foreign countries. I like to stay in familiar territory. Our drives across the island of Santiago have kept us on mostly paved roads. The road from Praia through Assomada and then to Terrafal is actually called the national highway and is well traveled. And though there are some interesting twist and turns on that road I have come to trust it. Now there is a place on the highway where you can see an antenna tower way at the top of a mountain. Robert made the comment to me a couple of weeks ago that the stake president told him there is actually a road that takes you to the top of that mountain and right by the antenna tower. Though that sounds like fun to him, he knows it does not to me. Not only is it unfamiliar territory, it involves heights. I don't like heights. How he ever got me to the top of mountain to ski down it, is still a mystery to me. I am still not sure how he convince me to even get in the tram. So he dropped the subject and didn't mention the antenna tower again. Instead he started talking of a city they take tourist to. It is suppose to be really quaint with an old church and nice hotel with a lovely view. I thought now that is my kind of fun! So off we went! Well as it turns out the city is right next to .... the antenna tower. To get there you have to drive on a narrow, narrow cobblestone street with zero guard rails. And to make it worse, it was misting. So we are talking slick cobblestone. The next thing I know we are driving in the clouds!
But in the end, I had to admit it was really amazing. It is actually so high up that it gets rain so there was lots of green vegetation. And the hotel and church were pretty quaint. I did manage to get some pictures of it when I wasn't gripping the seat and closing my eyes.
Here is the church and the hotel. And a cute little donkey.
And here is the antenna tower and a picture that told us just how high up we were.
Don't laugh but he has nearly convinced me to go back on our Anniversary. The hotel owner said if we come back on a clear day we can actually see Maio and Boa Vista, the next closest islands. Tempting.
No comments:
Post a Comment