Thursday, July 4, 2013

Boa Vista - again - and we hope again soon!!

We love Boa Vista. It is the prettiest of the islands we have seen thus far. We went several months ago to find the members there, have a sacrament meeting, and start some sort of group/congregation there. The missionaries were finally sent there about three weeks ago and the place is exploding. As they walk down the streets people stop them with lines like - I used to go to your church and then I move here and there wasn't one. It is here now - My sister is a member, can you teach me about your church - I listened to the missionaries on another island but wasn't baptized can I be baptized now - I have heard of your church, can you tell me more. I think Elder Hill and Elder Gougel were a bit surprised by how ready this island was for a church. They found an apartment at the very very top of this building - 70 stairs up- that has a fairly large front room where they could hold church.
They have out grown it. We had 48 members in church on Sunday. We spilled out onto the balcony

And a baptism on Saturday. Which of course had to be held at the beach as there is no baptismal font in their apartment.


We loved our stay there as it is a very tourist friendly place. This was the front courtyard of the hotel we stayed in.

This was what was waiting for us in our room.

I jumped in the hammock every chance I got. We didn't rent a car - the place is small - but still I think we walked 20 miles circling around the town visiting people and helping the Elders purchase what they still needed for their apartment.
And this was the courtyard we had breakfast in every morning. Those are real bananas and papaya. The breakfast they serve is unique. It consist of fresh bread, fresh fruit (probably from the trees around the courtyard) and homemade yogurt that is yummy.



Boa Vista is always cooler than Praia. The wind is always blowing which is probably why it is famous for windsurfing. An example of the wind can be seen by Elder Hill and Gougel's ties.
The other young man in the picture is Luis, the Boa Vista group leader. He is a return missionary and a great young man. We are excited to see the growth here and look forward to going back.
And now that Robert is part of the Mission Presidency, we know we will go back.  Here is a shot of the Mission Presidency - President Benedict, President Oliveira, and President Mathews. Those are the other two wives taking the pictures in front of me. Interestingly all three of these men served in the same mission - The Brazil North Mission - when they were young men. Though they served there at different times, they know many of the same people and had similar experiences. Now they have a great time talking about the good old days.

No comments:

Post a Comment