Saturday, November 9, 2013

A list of some of the crazy things happening...

First, since we have arrived we have been shipping most of the missionaries supplies we send to the other islands by a shipping company called STM. (Supplies to Fogo go by fast ferry)  It has been a reliable company and easy to work with. However that changed last week when the only ship owned by STM was hit by an oil tanker right here in the Praia harbor. That complicated our lives considerable - not to mention theirs - as we had to find a new means of shipping. Sal need mattresses and appliances to open two new apartments. The mission doesn't slow down for much. Thankful we found another shipping company - howbeit not as convenient as STM - and were able to get things to Sal and Boa Vista. We have had such a relationship to STM that I took this picture a couple of weeks ago while in Mindelo. I knew some of our stuff was on board.
This is what the ship looks like today. See how the STM letters are now half covered by the water. They say they are going to try to salvage it but it has been like that for a week and a half now. Oh yeah, we are on Cape Verde time - they still have time to get around to it.
 The second thing has to do with the airport. I have written about the airport spiders before. They all like to hover at the top of the tent like covering at the west end of the airport.

I once got so preoccupied with how big they look - even from 40 feet away - that I started worrying how they would look close up - you know like if they fell on your head and got tangled in your hair. Shiver. Now Elder Mathews has assured my arachnophobic soul that those spiders never fall. They like being up there and they hang on tight. That is what he said. We will just call this "little" fellow Myth Buster. I found him just a few feet away from us and about 5 inches off the floor! I did not scream. And for the record I did not get that close - I used the zoom button on the camera.

1 comment:

  1. We have those spiders here. Rod saw a ton when he was working in Corsicana. He almost walked into several actually.

    ReplyDelete