Sunday, July 29, 2012

Laugh out-loud Moments

So the other day I was on the phone with a support person from the area. Usually they are in Germany where the headquarters for the European Area is. We have had so many issues come up with supply orders, travel, water filters, etc. that we have made friends with the support personal. Well I was talking to one who has this great British accent. I was telling her that we hadn't been here long and some of our concerns. She started laughing and in this great accent says, "You little sausages had no idea what you were getting in to!" No we didn't, but people like her are making it so much more fun.

This one I had to wait a few awhile to laugh about. It all started in the morning with a phone call from the nurse asking us to get something to a sister missionary who was in pain. We headed to the sisters' apartment about 2 blocks from ours and were greeted with the sisters heading out the door. "We need to get her to the hospital! We think it is an appendicitis!" We rushed the three of them into our car and headed to the nurse's apartment as she needed to accompany us to the hospital. In route the President called and said he would meet us at the nurses apartment to help with a blessing. The blessing was given and we all piled back into the two cars. We had the sister and the nurse in our car and knew a quicker route to the hospital. We arrived and Robert and the nurse took the sister into the hospital while I parked the car. When I come back President was just arriving with her two companions and was panicked because he couldn't find a place to park. I told him to go in and I would park his car too. I figured that was something I could do that required no language skills as I have so little. So he jumps out of the car and off I go. I get about a block away on a busy one way street and the car dies. Literally dies. It is one of those cars that is key-less. You hit the clicker to unlock the door but once inside you just press the button and magically it turns on. But there was no magic when I hit the button again and again and again. Now there are cars backing up behind me so I hop out and start to push it to the side. Some man seeing my predicament, started helping me. I hop back in to steer and realize the steering wheel has completely locked and he is going to push me into a brick wall. I hit the brakes and hear a thud as the man hits the back of the car. It is at that moment I realize what the problem is. I don't have the clicker!!! It is an anti-theft device. You can't steal the car without the clicker. I jump out of the car and to the crowd that was gathering said the only Portuguese I knew that might be appropriate for the situation. "Desculpa-me! Desculpa-me!" That means excuse me. Then I lifted my skirt a bit and start in a full run for the hospital. I rushed into the emergency room and the minute the President spotted me his eyes flew open. He rushed to me with the clicker apologizing. I just grabbed it and ran - around the corner and past all the backed up cars. I hoped in and started it and drove around the block twice before I found a spot to park. It wasn't until I was telling Robert what had happened that I really started laughing. I could see the headlines now - Missionary arrested for car theft! The sweet sister did have an appendectomy and is making a miraculous recovery. When I told her the story all she could do was grab her side and try not to laugh too hard.

1 comment:

  1. Anna wants to see a picture of "Mrs. Mack", the sister that had the appendectomy.

    ReplyDelete