Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cutie Pie

I was sitting behind this little angel in a Relief Society meeting about two weeks ago. She kept smiling at me and then she started playing a game with me. She kept dropping the little bandana she had. I would bend down, pick it up and hand it to her. She would smile at me and then drop it again. This went on for awhile until I decided to play a little trick on her. Her response taught me volumes about cultural differences. When she dropped the bandana again, I bent down but didn't pick it up. Instead I handed her my Portuguese/English pocket dictionary. Her eyes lit up and I thought for a moment she would thumb through the pages but instead she jumped up, picked up the bandana on the floor, twilled it around to make a rope and then coiled it on her head like a nest and then proudly placed the dictionary on top of it. I was amazed! All the women here carry things on their heads. And the way they balance things is to use scarfs to make a bit of a nest or cushion on their head. She is only 2 and already knows exactly how it is done! She sat there for the rest of the meeting trying to show me how well she could balance it. It was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment