Saturday, September 1, 2012

The good, the bad, and the very sad

Well last Saturday stared off with things in flux. We had a Sister missionary sick on one of the Northern Islands who needed to be flown to Praia for medical treatment. (that was the bad) That meant we had to rush another Sister from here to there to take her place. And until she arrived someone needed to be a companion of the Sister left here. That was me for about 3 hours. And she worked me hard! We walked though one valley and up a hillside visiting investigators and inviting them to the baptism that afternoon. Some joined us, while others had conflicts. Still at each home we checked on how they were doing and left a spiritual thought with them and some encouragement. At every house I was treated warmly and instantly accepted, even though I still struggle with the language. They have a tradition here with the women. As part of the greeting you kiss each other on both cheeks. It never feels like a cliche. They are the warmest and most genuine people on earth. (that is the good). But while walking up one street, the Sister I was with called out to a group of women just a few yards up the hill from us. That is how you find people if they aren't home. You just ask people on the street, and they'll point you in the right direction. Someone always knows, and they are always willing to help you. But this time was different. The women in the group stiffened in response to our inquiry and turned their heads away as if to say - no, do not ask us. I had never seen anything like it here. As I said, the people are so warm and genuine. Then the Sister I was with stopped cold and quietly said, "Oh, no. Listen." That is when I heard a woman coming down the street wailing and screaming. She walked, almost stumbling, with her hands flailing. All who heard her had stoppped and in silence looked on sadly. One woman did run after her and reached out to her, but she was pushed away. This is a walk that traditionally is done alone. This young woman was announcing the death of her husband. For blocks after that the streets were quiet. We found out later that the husband was only 27 and they had little children. I think that is one of the saddest things I have ever seen.


No comments:

Post a Comment