When we got here they told us it really only rains in August - maybe a little in September - and that's it. Well it is the last day of September and it has rained hard all day and all over the island. The reason we know that is because we left here at 7:20 AM to deliver the Ashby Foundation clothing to the Tarrafal and Assomada wards and we were going to make a quick stop in Calheta. That meant we would be making a full circle around the island in the big mission van. Well we started out and it was only drizzling here in Praia but by the time we reached Assomada at the tip top of the mountains we had driven through waterfalls, dodged falling rocks and most of it with limited viability because the clouds were so low they were right on top of us. I love this drive but I had a few white knuckle moments this time around. To do what we needed to do in Calheta we needed a key from the missionaries in Assomada but could not connect with them as all cell service was down. That actually turned out to be a blessing because we just went to Tarrafal and then back to Assomada. Elder Mathews kept telling me it wasn't so bad. Ha. When we got back to Assomada we found out the highway to Calheta has been washed out! Here are a few pictures of what we saw right along the side of the road. The bridge one is a little blurry but look beyond it and you will see the water gushing down the mountain.
There is a big drop off on the other side of that curve! What a drive! When we came home we were without power. It is back on but it is still raining!
I just caught up on all of your adventures last month. I love reading about you your missionary experiences! Rick and I received our mission calls on Saturday. We will be serving in the Asia North Area office. Rick will be serving as the executive secretary to the area president and my calling is as "office specialist." My daughter-in-law, Ruth, says that means I'll always be making cupcakes for everyone. We are excited to go. It will be good to be in Tokyo again.
ReplyDelete